Kirk Edge Sheffield
|THE DISCALCED CARMELITE NUNS
THE CARMELITE MONASTERY
OF THE ORDER OF THE BLESSED
VIRGIN MARY OF MOUNT CARMEL
follow the Constitutions of 1581 accomodated to Vatican Council II and to current canonical laws
according to to the norms given by His Holiness John Paul II on 15th. October 1984.
Promulgated by him on 8th. December 1990, Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception
The Monastery of The Holy Spirit, Sheffield, was founded in 1911 from the Carmel of Notting Hill, London, by the Prioress, Mother Mary of Jesus - Madeleine Dupont.
This Carmel brought the Constitutions of Alcala (1581) from the Carmel of the Rue d' Enfer, Paris, France, which had been founded from the Carmel of San Jose of Avila, Spain in 1604. We united with the Carmel of Avila in petitioning the Holy See for the updated Constitutions of Avila 1581. These were promulgated in 1990 by Pope John Paul II.
Bishop Gordon of the Diocese of Leeds requested this foundation, and Henry Fitzalan Howard, the 15th Duke of Norfolk, gave to Mother Mary of Jesus the buildings and eighteen acres of moorland in the Peak National Park, five miles from Sheffield. Kirk Edge is twelve hundred feet above sea level, and the building is a solitary landmark for miles around, with wide views of the surrounding fields, moors and valleys, and encircled by the Yorkshire and Derbyshire hills. It is a perfect location for a life of contemplative prayer and silence.
The buildings on the site had already served as a Convent of the Sisters of Charity. Built in 1871 as an orphanage and industrial school, it was abandoned in 1887 when the Sisters of Charity located elsewhere. Many years of hard work, trials and tribulations have seen a transformation of the original site with the notable addition of a new Chapel and offices on the west side, as well as the 12 foot high surrounding wall. The Monastery was officially opened by His Eminence Cardinal Bourne on 16th. July, 1911.
Vocations have come to our Carmel throughout the years, seeking a life of union with God through prayer and sacrifice. In 1996 Doctor Sustar, Archbishop of Ljubljana in Slovenia, asked us to take the responsibility of a new Carmelite foundation following the Constitutions of 1990. The Monastery of Mary Queen of Angels, Mirna Pec, was canonically erected in 1998 by His Eminence Cardinal Franc Rode, Prefect of the Congregation of Religious, who was the Archbishop of Ljubljana at that time.